Student Pass and/or Student Visa

Do I need a Student Pass or a Student Visa?

Student Pass

All Non Bruneian students studying at JIS require a Student Pass if one or both parents are currently working in Brunei.  This needs to be applied for in order to study at JIS. Immigration will impose fines if this is not up to date. 

A Student Pass is a stamp in the passport to say 'Permission to study in Jerudong International School'. It is not a Visa. It is in addition to a Dependent Visa. 

Student Visa

A Dependent Visa is only valid until a student is 18 years old. 

Any non Bruneian student studying at JIS aged 18 years or above will thus need to apply for a Student Visa at least 1 month before their 18th birthday. The School will sponsor this Student Visa. 


Non Bruneian Boarders of any age whose parents live outside Brunei will receive a Student Visa. This is processed by the School. The cost varies depending on nationality but is approximately B$200 - B$250 for the first 12 months and approximately B$100 for subsequent renewals. 

Need more information? 

Please contact the Student Pass / Student Visa Team, based in the Admissions Department on